Sunday, July 10, 2011

Finger Knitting


Our recent finger-knitted creations.
  The availability of handiwork in a child's environment is not only a fun way to introduce artistic endeavors, but it also promotes the tenets of Montessori Practical Life exercises: Concentration, Coordination, Independence, and Order (CCIO).  Personally, I love cross-stitching and would sit for hours at a time (yes, before children!) enjoying the quietness of such a hobby.  What a thrill is was to work on something for so long and end up with a beautiful creation to enjoy for years to come!  Knitting is something I've always been interested in yet somehow never had the chance to learn.  These handiworks, however, have a special place in a Montessori setting, and  for years I have wanted to incorporate more of them in my classroom.  These summer days seem to inspire me to be more "crafty" and my handiwork interest is piqued.  For these reasons, I have uncovered the world of finger knitting with my boys over the past few days.  We have had so much fun and I can hardly wait to do this in the classroom next school year!  Here is Mr. Man demonstrating the first version of finger knitting we learned (he was very eager to share this video!).


We have big plans to make a collaborative project:  Throughout the coming weeks, we will each (Mr. Man, Big Stuff, and me) finger knit a super long chord.  Then, we'll braid them together to make one thick chord.  If all goes accordingly, then we'll roll it up (flat), stitching it together as the circle gets larger.  Hopefully, the result will be a one-of-a-kind rug! 

No comments:

Post a Comment