Monday, January 16, 2012

Finger Knitting, Again

Recently, we've been getting back in to finger knitting - both during our 'after school' hours and at home!  Some of my readers and followers might remember THIS post from last summer about this very topic.  Just as I envisioned in those hot summer months, we've been enjoying finger knitting in the warmth and coziness of our home during the winter. 

Yesterday, after a many-month hiatus, Mr. Man and I completed our project which was mentioned in last summer's post.  First, we finger knitted three long chords using the method shown in his video with four fingers.  Here they are laid out across the kitchen floor:

Finger-knitted chords...

Next, we braided them together:

The three chords braided...
And then, we carefully coiled it around, sewing the edges together as we went along... This was all very exciting for the both of us as we've never attempted anything like it before.  We ended up with a "very special" (according to Mr. Man) little rug.

Our new finger-knitted creation.
What a delight it was to spend time with my boy making this treasure - his enthusiasm was contagious!  If anyone ever asks me why my family doesn't play Nintendo or own any gaming devices,  I'll just tell them we have other ways to keep our fingers busy! ;-) 

2 comments:

  1. I really, really need to introduce finger knitting to my students. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it so relaxing and the conversations that happen while finger knitting are priceless! :)
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete