Thursday, February 16, 2012

Shape Mosiac

I try to vary art experiences in the classroom so that the children have opportunities for learning and practicing different skills.  I also feel that each child's creation should be just as unique and different as the children are from each other and try to stay away from "cookie-cutter" crafts.  To that end, one of the lessons I've presented is the following Shape Mosaic.

First, I demonstrated how a straight line is formed and pointed out the beginning of the line and the end of the line.  I drew a few more so the children could identify and name the beginning and end of each line I drew.  Then, as dramatically as I could, I showed how a line can be connected at the beginning and the end to create a shape.  This step was repeated several times as the children watched intently.  Next, I presented the materials for the lesson:

Three jars each with six inch strips of varying shades of a color (I used purple, but any color would be great...);  six inch squares of oak tag; small tray with one jar for black marker and pencil and another jar with scissors and glue (the larger space is where the child places their papers to carry everything to a workspace). 
To complete the activity, the child chooses a few strips of each color, one square paper, and brings everything to a table.  Just as in the lesson about connecting the ends of lines, I showed the children how to make three shapes with the black marker on the oak tag.  Next, each strip of colored paper was cut into small mosaic pieces and collected in the tray.  Lastly, each shape was filled in with one color from the mosaic pieces with the glue stick.

Here, the child has set up his space, drawn the three shapes with marker, and is gluing some small mosaic pieces which he has cut and collected on the tray.
The lesson requires much concentration and attention to detail.  I've been enjoying watching the children working at their individual paces as they meticulously create their Shape Mosaic.  And as always, each one is quite unique:

Some finished Shape Mosaics in our hallway.

Montessori Monday Link-Up

Montessori Monday

6 comments:

  1. It is very effective ! I love mosaic work! Thanks for sharing Sasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Thanks so much for reading and leaving your positive feedback.
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I think my son is ready for this, and to help re-ignite his interest in collage! Thanks for sharing! I pinned you on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lnmontessori/for-kids-to-do/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lisa! I'm happy to share and thanks for the Pinterest pin too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love the way you prepare and present your activities, Sasha! And your displays make process art beautiful regardless of the product! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Kids' Art Projects Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-art-projects/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Deb! One reason I enjoy writing these posts is so that the parents of my students can understand all that goes into what they might see in our hallway. Thanks for the Facebook and Pinterest links!

    ReplyDelete