Thursday, August 23, 2012

Keeping it Simple

As we approach the first days of school, I am reminded of "the unknown" and all that has yet to unfold in the classroom!  I prefer to keep things simple as I get to know the new children in my classroom and the returning students ease into a new daily rhythm.  Returning children are are comforted in seeing familiar lessons and the simplicity of the materials help the new students feel less overwhelmed.  Here are a few lessons on the Art shelves which await the children:

Playdough (inside container with green lid):  wooden board for workspace,  rectangular basket with rolling pin and other tools.

Chalk pastels:  pencil (for writing name); wooden container for the pastels.  

Paper cutting:  cutting strips; envelopes for collecting pieces; tray with scissors. The yellow paper in the back is available if they child wants to glue their paper cuttings and make a collage.

Pin-pushing:  This a valuable lesson which promotes concentration and coordination while enhancing the pincer grasp used for writing.  I have set up triangle, circle and square shapes in the paper holder.  The box holds the pads and pin pushes (tips in cork).

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to using the cutting station next year. I would like to try many other stations also!!! I am soooooooo excited for school this year. See you soon. ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your well-thought-out activities, Sasha! It's fun to see what you're doing at the start of a new school year! I featured your playdough posts and playdough photo in my Montessori-Inspired Playdough Activities 101 at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/09/18/montessori-inspired-playdough-activities-101/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Deb. We are busy during these first weeks, but the play dough is definitely a favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know how to present play dough activity professionally.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete